Written Assignment 5: Vulnerability Reduction
This Written Assignment entails two parts.
(1) First, you must do some research on the wildfires in California in recent years.
(2) Second, you must write a clear, well-organized paper which answers the questions in Part II of this assignment, while demonstrating that you have read the material in the modules.
First and foremost, we are grading your comprehension of the course material. If you do not demonstrate that you have read and understood the content from the modules, you will not receive a good grade. To get a good grade, you must show me that you have read and understood the content in the modules we have looked at so far.
First and foremost, Grading is based on your comprehension of the pdf course materials provided. If you do not demonstrate that you have read and understood the content from the modules, you will not receive full credit for your paper. To do well, you must show us that you have read and understood the content in the pdf materials.
Second, grading is a based on critical thinking and analysis. How well do you form and support your arguments with evidence from the course material or external sources?
Third, we are grading for the mechanics – proper grammar, well-written paragraphs, answering all the questions, correct formatting of sources (if you use external sources, please use APA style to cite your sources).
Written Assignment Instructions
In this assignment you will build upon concepts learned in Modules 8 and 9 (pdf content provided) by applying them to studying the “natural disaster” of wildfires in California. You may draw from relevant materials from the assigned readings, other modules, and additional outside sources.
The objective of this assignment is to increase your understanding of the relationship between vulnerability, natural hazards, and disasters, and to help you develop a more complex framework for understanding how natural disasters unfold.
Part I: Do some research
1. Read the following article on the nature of “natural disasters” and the complexity of Hurricane Katrina’s aftermath: Smith, Neil. “There’s No Such Thing as a Natural Disaster.” Blog. Understanding Katrina: Perspectives from the Social Sciences, June 11, 2006. https://items.ssrc.org/understanding-katrina/theres-no-such-thing-as-a-natural-disaster/
2. Do some research on the factors causing the increased frequency and intensity of wildfires in California.
3. You will need to cite at least 3 reputable outside sources that do not include the course modules 8 and 9 for your essay.
Part II: Write a paper
Write a 600-750 word paper that answers the following questions:
(1) What does Smith mean when he states that there is “no such thing as a natural disaster”?
(2) Throughout the past few years, we have witnessed an increase in the occurrence, range, and severity of California wildfires. Using Smith’s reasoning regarding the classification of “natural” disasters as human-made occurrences, analyze the wildfires that have burned in California in recent years and determine the ways in which human (in)action has contributed to the severity of these disasters.
(3) How credible do you find Smith’s arguments? Is there really no such thing as a natural disaster?
You must engage at least three course concepts in your paper. Remember, engaging a course concept means defining that concept and explaining how it helps you think about the theme of your paper. Please bold the concepts you engage in your paper.
|Our Services||Our services||Our services||Our Services|
|Custom Research Papers|
Custom Term Paper
Dissertation Writing Service
Do My Essay
Do My Essay For Me
Do My Paper
|Essay Editing Services|
Buy Essays Online
Buy Term Paper Online
Write My Essay
Do my homework for me
Admission Essay Writing
APA Style Paper
Buy custom essay
Case Study Services
Cheap Research papers
Chicago Style Papers
Essay Writing Service
|Buy Term Paper Online|
Literary analysis essay
Application essay writing
Cause and effect essays
Compare and Contrast essay
Critical Analysis Essay
Buy college papers
Buy Essays online
College Term Papers
Essays for Sale
Research paper topics
Term Paper Writing
Five paragraph essay
Personal Essay writing
Online Writing Services
Buy Cheap Essays
Course Work Writing
Critical Essay Writing
Free Term Papers
Turnitin plagiarism checker