A research paper, generally, is a long-form essay that students use to present their ideas and thoughts on a particular subject. If you’re still in school, a substantial research paper will easily guarantee you good grades. Moreover, expect an enjoyable learning experience.
Having the best research paper idea is only the first step to sailing through your coursework. Once you select your topic begin expounding and gathering enough information to make your case.
Despite the process you choose to follow when writing your essay, you always have to consider the topic. Sometimes, tutors provide specific questions that students will be researching on. Other times, you will only have mere guidance on the subject matter.
The latter scenario necessitates you to consider a couple of items that you find both stimulating and relevant to your course.
Research Paper Ideas For Different Types Of Students
The kind of research paper you intend to write varies depending on your education level. High school students are understandably inexperienced when it comes to research and general academic writing. On the other hand, their college-going companions have significantly more experience and knowledge.
High School Students
Writing a research paper in high school allows students to gain some meaningful insight into the world of academic writing. It is essential, then, that their tutors guide students on various writing styles and research methods in preparation for college life.
Usually, research paper ideas for high school students are not as extensive as in higher learning institutions. Research mainly enables them to get hands-on experience in the process of fact-finding for their papers.
Before going about writing a paper, you have to make sure you have relevant information sources. While the most utilized source is the internet, students mainly focus on current issues and socially popular topics.
In this case, students can consider gender-centered issues and equality. Also, prevailing political matters such as the effect of playing the ‘Race card’ on voting patterns, pop-culture issues like celebrity relationships are relevant. Here are a couple more ideas you can consider for your essay.
- Why body language is critical for communication
- Modern-day TV commercials and their impact on teenagers
- Are you that anonymous on the internet?
- Bilingual individuals often come across as highly intelligent, but does the added language make them smarter than others?
In college, young people get down and dirty when it comes to research. Research papers are a big deal at higher learning institutions and a lot of effort goes into picking good research paper ideas.
Any research revolves around finding solutions for prevailing problems and while in college, students are encouraged to explore as many ideas as possible. The catch is, however, these ideas must be unique and at the same time, interesting enough not to bore you along the way.
There are quite a lot of subjects taught in college. The kind of research paper idea you select will often depend on what you are studying.
College papers are mostly complex documents as compared to high school pieces owing, to a large extent, to the increase in knowledge and experience of those undertaking them. So the relevant research paper ideas shouldn’t mirror what high school students are writing and at the same time, should not be troublesome.
Relevant Ideas For College Students
As mentioned before, there are dozens of disciplines taught in college, and this diversity presents students with a wide selection of research paper ideas to settle on. Whatever subject you decide to major in, there is always a research idea waiting to be explored as this list will show you.
Science Research Ideas
Science topics cover plenty of areas and if you are undertaking any course touching on this discipline, then you are fortunate. There is a ton of information to gather and take in ranging from sub-disciplines of robotics, biology, physics, astronomy, chemistry, ecology and conservation, nanotech etc.
- Nanotechnology and medicine: can this revolutionary technology change how we treat various ailments
- The impact of nanotech on the research and development of medical applications, technologies, and medicines
- Cloud formation and seawater: What is the link between these two climate change factors
- What chemicals are common allergy triggers, and what doctors and physicians need to do to prevent these unwanted responses?
- Modern-day space exploration and the journey to Mars: Is it necessary and economically viable to today’s world?
- Commercialization of space travel: How do companies intend to go about this new frontier?
History Research Paper Ideas
Humans have had a remarkably short stint on this world. However, since then, we have had the most significant impact on our planet than any other living species before us. To truly understand how we are going to shape our future, we need to go back in time and fully comprehend where we have come from.
History is an exciting discipline that explains not just our origins but also gives us different perspectives about where we come from and can even point to our future. Here are some worthwhile research paper ideas if you are into history.
- The French Revolution: The effect this historic act of civil disobedience had on modern-day democracy?
- A look into the Asian conflict of post-war Vietnam. What led to the escalation of the war, the role of the USA and the effect it had on both countries to date.
- The crusaders and Jihadists. Are they similar or starkly different?
- The hippie culture of the 60s and 70s and its impact on modern-day US society
- How The People’s Republic of China developed into the modern-day economic superpower?
- The Pope’s political power through the middle ages and how that has diminished in modern times
Psychology Research Paper Ideas
Psychology revolves around studying the human mind. It is a multifaceted approach that includes several sub-disciplines that focus on human development, health, cognitive processes, and behavior. In a broad sense, psychology is a pretty thought-provoking field of study as you get to know a lot about people and what drives their behavior.
There are hundreds of research paper ideas on psychology, and hopefully, this list can give you some inspiration as you consider your next essay.
- Pavlov’s conditioning experiment
- Early childhood language development
- Learning disabilities affecting children
- Reversed gender roles in modern societies and their impact on their respectful cultures
- Dreams and the significance they hold
- The relationship between eating disorders and the rampant lifestyle diseases witnessed today
Political Science Research Paper Ideas
Politics might be a mainstay of all modern-day governments, but for them to govern themselves in line with current laws, they still need experts to oversee the process. Poetical science considers various governance systems in place today, political thoughts and opinions, constitutions and both current and historical political events.
If you are researching political science, here are some insightful research paper ideas you can follow.
- An analysis of America’s Middle East foreign policy through the years: What has changed and why?
- Apartheid: An In-depth breakdown, the rationale behind the system
- Presidential vs. parliamentary system of governance
- The role of the military in modern-day governments
- Human rights throughout the years: What has changed and what more/less needs to be done
For political science research paper topics, there are a couple of things you ought to consider besides the usual research parameters. For starters, it is essential that you also devote some time to discussing divergent opinions before concluding the paper.
You should steer clear of sensitive topics, especially given the general political atmosphere at the time. If you can, always maintain a neutral stance on any issue.
Nursing Research Paper Ideas
The nursing field is well-known for being strict on matters curriculum. Many students often find it hard to survive the course. However, acing your research paper should give you a pretty decent boost when it comes to grading. Having the best research paper idea is one way to score highly in your term paper.
- Vaccination across the globe: Why are some people against the procedure and the purported drawbacks
- Coronavirus and the role healthcare workers play in alleviating this novel disease
- Mental health challenges in both adults and juvenile patients and how to care for them
- Prevalence of obesity and other lifestyle diseases today
When writing your research paper, you always need to follow your interest. That is why you are doing a course in which you have a genuine interest in. Writing any academic paper is a long process and many people would instead outsource the task. When interest levels drop, it is relatively easy to call it quits.
Besides having an interest in the topic, you also need to consider current events across the globe. Your case needs to be unique and hence the reason for planning your work early enough. Early planning will make it easy to consider several items and see which one is relevant.
With several items on your radar, take in some background information to broaden your perspective. This allows you to gauge the difficulty that can be expected.
Once you arrive at the best possible research paper idea, simply follow the laid-out research paper writing process. You’ll then be on the path to writing the best essay.