Assignment 2: Descriptive Statistics
This week, you explore key statistical concepts related to data and
problem solving through the completion of the following exercises using
SPSS and the information found in your Statistics and Data Analysis for Nursing Research textbook.
The focus of this assignment is to become familiar with the SPSS data
analysis software and to develop an understanding of how to calculate
descriptive statistics and make conclusions based on those calculations.
As you formulate your responses, keep in mind that descriptive
statistics only allow you to make conclusions and recommendations for
the sample at hand—not for the larger population to which that sample
- Review the Statistics and Data Analysis for Nursing Research
chapters assigned in this week’s Learning Resources. Pay close attention
to the examples presented, as they provide information that will be
useful when you complete the software exercise this week. You may also
wish to review the Research Methods for Evidence-Based Practice video resources to familiarize yourself with the software.
- Refer to the Week 4 Descriptive Statistics Assignment pageand
follow the directions to calculate descriptive statistics for the data
provided using SPSS software. If you run into any difficulties or
problems, post them to the Week 4 Discussion 2 area.
- Download and save the savdata set. You will open the data file in SPSS.
- Compare your data output against the tables presented in the Week 4 Descriptive Statistics SPSS Output document. This will enable you to become comfortable with defining variables, entering data, and creating tables and graphs.
- Formulate an initial interpretation of the meaning or implication of your calculations.