(Solution) Criminological theory final paper
Generally papers should proceed as follows:
- Give the title of your organization, tell where they are located, who they help, give an overview of the organization’s mission and what services they provide (if you want to focus on one of many programs, say so.)
- Ex. I have selected Homeboy Industries located in Los Angeles. They help gang members looking to get out of gang life. Homeboy Industries, started in 1988, targets gang members for rehabilitation, and gives them a pathway out of the lifestyle. They have many programs such as job training, parenting classes, and anger management, but I am going to focus on their tattoo removal program. Etc.
- Then introduce your theory:
- Ex. I am applying Akers Social Learning Theory to understand why Homeboy Industries works to prevent future offending. Social learning theory argues that people commit crimes when they have an excess of definitions favorable to breaking the law. The programs at Homeboy Industries work to reverse and replace those negative definitions.
- Apply the theory – Explain why the program works according to your theory—MUST use the key terms/language of the theory. Get SPECIFIC. –This is the most important part of the paper, should be the bulk of your paper.
- Differential association – new members learn and associate with other ex-gang members that they respect, forming new definitions favorable to law abiding.
- Differential reinforcement…
- Conclusion – summarize your argument.