A department store plans to upgrade its IT infrastructure to support a new order-processing application with rich features. The store currently uses eight stand-alone computers when customers check out.
The specifications of these computers are:
- Quad core processors
- Minimum of one terabyte hard drives
- Minimum of 5 GB RAM
- Windows XP, Linux, or Mac OSX
The management of the store wants to upgrade four of the computers and use them to process client orders. The initial study done by the management reveals that the computers will perform the following tasks:
- Run an order-processing application that requires a multiprocessing operating system. The application will take orders from customers over the Internet, process the orders, and create invoices.
- Communicate with customers using e-mail to resolve customer queries.
- Store customer data on the local computer. The store will use this data to promote new products.
- The department store needs you to upgrade the four computers. Find the necessary equipment from online vendors to upgrade the computers.
- Your 5-7 page report will include a listing of what features need to be upgraded or added and your justification, an estimated cost report for the upgrades as well as a list of hardware/software needed. These can include external peripheral devices.
- Make sure to include the list of vendors that you used as references and that your report reflects due diligence in addressing the assignment statement.
- Include a list of features that need to be upgraded or added.
- Justify the choices of the features chosen for upgrading or adding.
- Submit an estimate cost report for the changes.
- Include a list of hardware/software to be added/upgraded.
- Include the list of vendors used.