Dr. Raphael Sagarin, a marine biologist, writes about natural security systems and considers how they can be applied to analysis and practice in human society. Your assignment this week is to write a strategy memo applying two of the concepts that he identifies as occurring in the natural world and describe how you would use these concepts to improve an element of Homeland Security. Your analysis should include reference to Dr. Sagarin’s paper as well as any additional research you need to conduct to support your claims. It should be 800–1,250 words in length.
Dr. Sagarin’s Paper
Sagarin, R. (2010). Natural security for a variable and risk-filled world. Homeland Security Affairs, 6(3). Retrieved from http://www.hsaj.org/?article=6.3.4
- Read through Dr. Sagarin’s article titled Natural Security for a Variable and Risk-Filled World.
- It can be accessed through the link contained within the reference above or by using a search engine and a search query of the full article title.
- Address the following in a strategy memo of 800–1,250 words:
- Select 2 concepts examined by Dr. Sagarin, and summarize them in your own words.
- Be sure to use in-text APA citations whenever necessary.
- How could the U.S. apply the selected concepts to improve their own homeland security systems? Explain and be specific.
- How could these concepts have been applied to recent terrorist attacks or natural disasters? Explain.
- What has been learned from recent responses to homeland security threats? Explain.
- How have those lessons been implemented, if at all? Explain.
You are a counterintelligence analyst for the Federal Bureau of Investigation assigned to the Cyber Division. You are also a member of the National Counterintelligence Working Group (NCIWG). The NCIWG was created to establish strategic interagency partnerships at the senior executive level among the USIC, academia, industry, and defense contractors.
During a recent working group meeting, the subject of technology and the implications and effects it has on the U.S. counterintelligence mission was discussed. As the subject matter expert for these issues on the working group, you were asked to prepare a written report on the subject to present to the National Counterintelligence Executive (NCIX) on the working group’s behalf.
- Address the following in report of 750–1,000 words:
- How has the advancement of modern technology affected U.S. counterintelligence activities and operations? Explain.
- How has modern technology benefited the U.S. counterintelligence mission? Explain.
- How has modern technology been a detriment to the U.S. counterintelligence mission? Explain.
- What legal issues must be taken into consideration with regard to technological advancements and U.S. counterintelligence? Explain.
- You must specifically address counterintelligence and not the USIC as a whole.
- What specific ethical issues must be taken into consideration with regard to technological advancements and U.S. counterintelligence? Explain.
- Remember, this is not an opinion paper and will require additional research.
- Your paper must be supported by at least 2 scholarly references.
- Compile your responses in your final report, and submit the file to your instructor.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.